My last two blog posts have been book reviews. This one was meant to be as well, but I haven't finished reading the book for review yet. The problem I have, and I'm sure I'm not alone in experiencing this issue, is that there are just too many books. I'm currently reading three things at once and have an ever-expanding Teetering TBR1 Pile of Doom.
Books I currently have on the go (see also the Goodreads widget on this page):
- a book for a book group I've just set up at work
- a review copy of a book that I was meant to have read and reviewed by now
- the web serial I've been reading since 20142.
Up next, I have
- one book out from the public library which I need to read and return
- three graphic novels, two novels and a short story collection out from my school library,
- my birthday presents
- a massive backlog of Net Galley ARCs3 that I requested with the best of intentions
- a book written by a friend
- a school library full of bookish temptation (that I get to buy the books for!)
- a bookshelf at home overflowing with books that I'll get around to "eventually"
- a storage unit in Melbourne with literally hundreds of books waiting for us to move back to Australia
- all the books.
- Did I mention books?
I'm not a hugely fast reader and I'm often too tired to read a lot when I get home after work - although I am making a concerted effort to read a bit every day (practicing what I preach!). And it is obviously a myth that librarians get to sit around all day reading books (organising books, yes). I don't get through nearly as many books as I would like - or feel that I should. This is not helped by the fact that all three of the books I'm reading at the moment are digital copies - I think I read physical books faster. I'm sure one day I will be crushed by a collapsing TBR pile - either literally or metaphorically (hopefully it will be a radioactive TBR pile and I will become imbued with the power of thousands of unread books!). Anyway, I've got some actual proper dealines to finish two of my current reads, so hopefully there will be a review here next week.
In the mean time, this is a blog post about why I didn't write a blog post this week.